Gartner, in its September 2009 Hype Cycle for e-commerce mentions that blogging has reached the plateau of productivity. Social networking is just a fad for the young, and frivolous in nature. Porn is the only thing that really sells on the web.
Did you say you agreed to any or all of those statements? Think again! Check the factoids that you might want to hear:
- Social media has overtaken porn as #1 activity on the web. And porn as an industry (on the web) did not do that well in 2009.
- 1 of 8 couples married in the US last year, met via social media
- More people follow Ashton Kutcher and Ellen Degeneres than the combined population of Ireland, Norway and Panama
- Over 200mn blogs, 54% bloggers post or tweet daily. 78% people prefer peer recommendations, than search engine results. Only 14% trust advertisements (including commercials on the telly). Most trust word of mouth!
- 96% of Gen Y (who have internet access) use social media of some sort or the other.
Facebook reached 100mn users in 9 months. If it were a country, it would be the 4th largest, though China’s Q-zone is larger.
- Ipod app downloads hit 1bn in 9 months.
- 80% of twitter usage is on mobile devices. Youtube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world.
- 34% post opinions about products and brands35% book sales in the US are already on Kindle.
- News is now pushed, to you. Same is about to happen to products, and brands. >1.5Mn pieces of content are shared of Facebook, daily!